Monday, January 15, 2007

Saskatoon (this one came in the mail, it took over two weeks to get to us)

Dear Family,
I probably won't be doing as good with the writing of letters home, mostly because e-mail is cheaper and easier to do but I will try my best to actually write home. The mail here is different, first the mail boxes are red instead of blue and the mail men don't have cars, they have to walk, caring one or two mail bags even in the middle of winter. They don't have a post office here like in the U.S. we go to the supermarkets to mail things. The hours are the same as the markets. They don't deliver mail on Saturdays, who knows why not. The natives don't like to be called Indians or Native Americans because they are not American they are Canadians, but they like to be called First Nation. Let me explain the situation with the e-mail, normally we would have a hour to use the Internet but the service is really poor here. One day you will have great service and the next it is slower than molasses. My companion and I have to sit next to each other and be able to see each others screens when we are using the computers, so when there aren't two computers next to each other we have to take turns. Some people reserve the computers and so you have to get off the computer so that person can use it, even if they don't show up the computer will kick you off it. The service that the church has (my lds.com) takes awhile to load up so once I get to my e-mail I only had 7 minutes to check it and send what ever I could.
The other day we where tracking down a street and my companion and I both got a felling that there was someone on that street that needed to have us come and talk to them but we didn't know who, so we just started knocking on doors, and it was almost like we where playing of hot and cold with the spirit, when we started going one way the people would just slam the door on us and not even let us talk but when we started going the other way people would talk a little more but tell us not to come back. We did get to a house that they said thy wanted us to come back so we will go back this week.
We just got back from tracking and I find it funny the way that people react around us. Some act like we are from outer space or something,then there are others that look like the are afraid of you (I guess when you see two tall young men walking down the street dressed in suits that it is a different site and you might be concerned about it) It would also help if they didn't show things on T.V. around here about Mormons that aren't true. A less active member told us how they saw a program about Joseph Smith and how he talked to frogs (it sounds pretty messed up to me). I love you all, Kohl

No comments: